- 7 Benefits of Blogging
- Starting a Blog
- Opening an Account
- How to setup a Blogger Blog
- Monetizing your blog
- Driving Traffic to your Blog
- Tips for Interesting Blog
A blog is a discussion or informational website published on the World Wide Web. It is a very popular way of promoting your product or service. It is easy to install, easy to administer and easy to update. A blog is usually called a website or weblog.
The word ‘weblog’ refers to a web-server’s log file. It was created when web logging hit the virtual market. Since its inception in the mid-1990s, web logging gradually saturated the virtual community making the Internet a viable source of greater information.
It is essentially an online journal wherein you can write down your thoughts, ideas, opinions and practically anything that you want people to read.
Blogs come in different styles, formats, and settings, depending on the preference of the user. Some blogging sites, even allow you to put video and mp3’s on your blogs.
This is especially useful for first time users, since they can start blogging right away. They can choose from a number of templates that blogging websites provide.
One great thing about blogs is that people read them for fun and for information, in fact, blogging is one of the few areas of the internet that covers business, pleasure, networking and play.
7 Benefits of Blogging
- Blogs are essentially websites that are alive! This means your blog will grow as you continue to publish posts or pages regularly to your blog. In contrast, many websites are seldom modified or updated after they are
- Blogs are designed to publish and update contents easily once you have them set up, configured and running. Once you get the hang of it, it’s a matter of getting into that habit of writing blog posts and pages and publishing them regularly.
- They are either FREE or cost very little to set up. You can create your free blogs easily by visiting blogger.com or wordpress.org. You’ll be learning how to set up a free blog using blogger in this
- You can make money with your blogs in many ways, such as: Publishing third-party ads in your blogs (eg. Google Adsense pubishing), recommending affiliate products and services in your blogs (eg. Amazon) and selling advert spaces in your blog (if it is self hosted). Read our post on How to insert Ads on your blogs
- Blogs are interactive. Visitors, or blog readers, are usually allowed to post comments for a blog post (or article) to the blog owner. This helps to build rapport and relationship between the blog owner and his visitors or
- Blogs rank higher in the search engines more than website. This is because blogs are usually updated regularly via blog posts and pages. In a website, you have to do a lot of tweaking through Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques. Search engines will visit your blogs more regularly as you blog more regularly. Thus, you can also place links of your other websites to get them indexed quickly by the search
- Furthermore a blog’s syndication function is its most powerful benefit! You can syndicate the contents of your blog, that is allowing other website publishers to publish your feed (or channel) on their sites. This helps to bring more traffic to your blogs as the visitors of these sites subscribe to your feed via web-based or desktop newsreaders. So, with the above benefits, doesn’t it make a lot of sense to start building blogs as quickly as possible?
Want to start, ok let’s get on
Starting a Blog
There are really no rules when it comes to blogging. Bloggers have the freedom to express themselves how ever way they want. The most popular type of free blogging platform are blogger and wordpress. Both are free, though if you like you can host it yourself. This means you buy a domain name and hosting for your blog. Example of a free blog is:
From the above you can see that the main difference is in the name. If you get a free blog, the name will have .blogspot.com if it is hosted by blogger or .blog.com if it is hosted by wordpress.
For instance, if you want to write about sports and you use a blogger website, you might get the name sports.blogspot.com but if you buy a domain name you might get the name sports.com.
Apart from the name difference you give up a certain percentage of control to the owners of your free blog when it is not self hosted.
However it is a very good idea to start with a free blog. That way you learn a lot so you don’t make any mistakes when you get a domain of your own. Besides you make money by the side.
In this book we are going to look at how to set up your free blogger blog.
Blogger is owned by Google, and is designed around ease of use. You can host at any domain (yourblogname.blogspot.com) of your choice.
Getting a Topic
First thing first, think of a topic you’ll write about. It could be anything. Get a topic because your blog is going to be based on a certain topic.
You need to think about what you’re writing and why. Consider your theme, that you’ve chosen (e.g sports) and build some keywords around it, because for the first few posts, you should try to include at least some of them in every post.
Consider choosing a topic you are passionate about, an expert in or loves to talk about.
After you can decide whether it’s profitable, or viable to pursue it. To help you here is a list of interesting and profitable topics to choose from.
- Weight loss
- How to make money
- Dog Training
OPENING AN ACCOUNT
Once you’ve gotten your topic the next thing is to open an account with Google.
Get a Gmail account. You might consider creating a new, separate email address just for your blog, so that if you get a lot of feedback from your posts your inbox will be not filled up.
Blogger is owned by Google so you’ll need a Gmail account to set up one. It’s free, if you don’t have one get yours here.
Now go to www.blogger.com You will find the page below.
You can get a blog in 3 easy steps.
(1) Get a name for your blog (2) Pick a template (3) Start blogging
Sign in with your Google account, which is your Gmail account.
Type in your Gmail address in the space written Email Type in your password in the space written Password Leave the small box titled stay signed on
Click on sign in
You will be taken to this page.
As you can see, I already have three blogs. If you are just starting out you’ll only see this picture below.
Here is where you’ll name your blog.
Write the title of you your blog in the space provided. If you are writing about sports, you might choose the name Get Your Sports Results Here or anything. You can use lowercase or upper case but the Title case is better.
Then write down the address, example www.sportsnews.blogspost.com. (This is just an example, I didn’t check if this address exits)
Blogger has added the first part http:// and the last part
.blogspot.com for you. So you only add the name.
Like sportsnews, sportsresult, sportsreview, sportsnow.
You can use the title of your blog as the blog address especially if it is a short title. Whatever you choose, check the availability. This is to check that someone else is using the name.
Then type the letters in green exactly as you saw it into the word verification box and Continue.
Now choose your template for your blog. This is the style and look of your web page. Blogger already has some preset designs that you can use. If you want to create your own template using your own HTML coding, you can do that as well. Click on any of the small boxes to choose.
Click on Continue.
You have created a new blog. Easy right. Yeah Ok now you can start blogging.
Click on start blogging. You can write anything. You might say
This is my first blog. I just built it. It is about sport. Here you will get the latest sports news, results and more. Thank you. Your name.
MONETISIZING YOUR BLOG
The best blogs are usually the ones that have a mix of tips and advice, hobby or interest discussion, technique and connection. While blogging, try to make a connection with your reader. This simply means being personable and approachable with your write-ups, and giving people a chance to empathise with you.
The most popular way of monetizing your blog is through Google Adsense. For Google to approve your blog for adsense, make sure you have at least two or three good post about your topic.
Then go to www.adsense.google.com and apply for adsense.
Sign in with your Gmail account. Follow the step-by-step process to get your code. Save the code in notepad in your system. Then sign in to blogger and paste it.
Google will take some days to check your blog and approve it. Make sure you have at least 2 or 3 quality post there, you’ll surely be approved. Once you’ve signed up, you can find your publisher id in the right hand corner of your google adsense account. It will have Publisher Id: pub- with a lot of numbers after it.
The ads will start appearing in your blog. Don’t worry if you don’t see it immediately, Google will take time to check your post and serve relevant ads to your blog.
Once you are approved you can add more adsense units by going to the box, clicking on Add a Gadget then find the Adsense Gadget. Just choose your size and color and you are done!
Adsense will already have your id code in it since you already have placed adsense on your page.
The easier way to get adsense for your blog is to get it through your blogs dashboard.
Sign in to blogger, in your dashboard click on Monetize as shown below
Follow the steps and get your ads. It’s mainly about you choosing the colors, layout, size, adsense for content or search.
After that you are done. Ads will start appearing on your blog. Never click on your own ads. This can get you banned, even if you do it just once to “test it out”. It is against Google rules.
Another way you can use to monetise your blog immediately is through affiliate programs. You can use the banner for the affiliate product you are promoting and put it in your blog.
Here’s how. Copy the code for the banner, you can find this in the affiliate’s website. Go to your blogger dashboard, click on Design.
Your blog’s dashboard will expand and you will the image below.
Click on Add a Gadget.
You will see a box come up like this
In the box that comes up, scroll down and click on
Paste the code in the spaces provided, leave the title bar empty, click on save and it’s done. The banner will appear and whenever someone clicks on it and follows through by buying the recommended product, you earn money (commission from the product’s owner).
You can also use the link unit gadget to add the link for you affiliate product as you can see in my blog, www.knowhimknowher.blogspot.com. Just follow the steps above and add the Clickbank code (assuming you are using Clickbank) in the spaces. Leave the title empty or call it any name you like.
To earn more money from your blog you need to let people know about it and have them visit your blog often. You do this by bringing traffic to your blog. Here are some ways of getting traffic to your blog.
To cash out your earnings, I will advise you to set up FREE payoneer account. See step by step here
7 Quick Ways To Drive TRAFFIC TO YOUR BLOG
Now that you’ve learnt how to create a blog, we are going to learn how to make money from it. For you do this, first people have to know about your blog and visit it. So how do you drive traffic to your blog? Here are seven quick ways to boost traffic to your blog and start seeing those big sales.
- Tell People about it: Let your friends and family know about your blog. You can drive a lot of traffic to your blog by telling your family members, relatives, colleagues in the office or at work, neighbours, course mates and others about your blog. Tell them to read you articles and comment on them, tell them to give you feedback and tell their own friends about the blog too.
- Ping your Blog: There are a lot of blog services you can ping. This means that you notify this service, that you’ve updated your blog. These services then list your new posts and you get the traffic from them. I’ve made a list of 50+ blog services you can ping on my site. These list are also available if you search Google or any other search engine for it. That should be enough to give an initial boost to your traffic.
- Add buttons to popular news readers: What does this mean? Well there are sites like yahoo or Google or bloglines etc, which have a members area where you can select sites with RSS feeds to fetch the latest updates from different blogs. That way you can have the latest updates from let’s say 50 blogs listed on one
- Update your content regularly: Search engines and blog services love regular updates. It’s very likely that you will get targeted traffic from search engines if you post regularly. That means you should make a new post to your blog at least once per day. But be careful. Too many updates per day can harm your search engines position and hits. What’s too many? 10 or
- Use Articles to market your blog: Write articles about your topic and send it article directories like ezinearticles.com, goarticles.com,articlealley.com, articlebase.com, etc. After the article, write a little about yourself and your blog as signature. This will draws readers of your article to your
- Post in forums: Post in forums, but don’t spam them. Post something fresh and interesting and put a link to your blog in your signature. Don’t just post in any forum. For example if you’re selling cds, post in forums that are about music and cds. Don’t post in car forums if you’re selling furniture. By posting in forums you will get one-way links which are good for search engine position in search engines like Google or msn or
- Submit to blog search engines: There are masses of search engines available, that list only blogs. Just Google for ‘blog search engines’ and you should find at least 20 of them. These blog search engines will help you with targeted traffic. Be sure to write a good title and a good description to your blog, so that people will easily find it and click on your link.
Follow these 7 steps and you will start seeing lots of traffic to your blog. And the so long awaited sales will start coming in. And don’t forget to update your blog with fresh unused content that you write yourself.
5 TIPS FOR INTERESTING BLOGGING
To make sure that people read your posts and come back for more, as well as inviting their friends to visit, you need to write your blog for humans. Even though you may write to get a good search engine ranking, by using a lot of keywords in your article, don’t lose the human aspect.
Remember that humans beings are going to read what you’ve written, so make your articles interesting, educative and informative for people. Here are 5 tips that will help you to make posts an interesting read.
- Consider your audience: Even if your blog is generally personal, still, it would be better to consider the minds of your readers. You have to think of something that would interest them.
After all, most of the reasons of people who write blogs are not at all confined to their own personal motives. Most of them would love to be “heard” (or read) and would love to be known, in some way or another, even for just a minute. Hence, it is very important to come with a write up that everybody can understand, not necessarily that these people can relate to it but they can understand it.
- Add Pictures when you can: Pictures speaks a thousand words.
To make your blogging worth the browsing effort of your readers, it would be extremely nice if you put some pictures in it. It does not necessarily mean you have to place a picture of yourself. Any photographs will do as long as it does not pose danger or insult to anyone who will be reading your blog and that you have permission to use them!
- Make constructive and beneficial blogs: Even if you are free to write anything you wan to say to the world, still, it would be better to create some write-ups that would be beneficial to your
After all, its information technology that you have there so better be inclined to provide information rather than sheer quirky entertainment.
- Avoid making multifaceted and complicated blogs: In order to have an interesting blog, try not to use some highly technical and highfalutin words. After all, it is not a science discourse or a debate that you are making, so better stick to simple facts and short.
Bear in mind that most people who use the Internet usually do more scanning than scrutinizing each site word for word. Therefore, it would be better to come with blogs that will not bore your readers just because you have these lengthy articles.
- Make it Interactive: As much as possible and if your capacity will allow it, make your blog interactive. You can do this by placing some video or audio clips in your blog.
You can even place an area for comments or for some feedback. In this way, you can get some impressions or reactions of other people. Who knows, you might even gain some friends just by making them feel at home in your blog site.
Blogging has rapidly become the primary traffic generation tool of newbie’s and advanced marketers alike. It’s an easy, and efficient way to create and maintain connections with customers, staff, colleagues and peers, and best of all, ensure consistent and easier link to listings in search engines, and from sites.
Blogs contain one very powerful concept – interaction. With interaction you’ll find that people are more interested in what you’re saying, and you’ll gain insight into how your market actually works, which, in turn, gives you the ability to drill down even further into your chosen specialty area.
With a little help, planning, and work, you can build an amazing, engaging and useful blog that is a credit to yourself, your business and a customer based connection that rewards you, and them with a rich relationship – and rewards you with loyal customers that will follow you to the ends of the earth if necessary.
Depending on your blogging style, you’ll either make friends or enemies but either way, they WILL comment on your blog.
People that comment are more likely to return to your site – and those that return WILL give you the feedback, and basis for more content. Blogs are win -win, so why don’t you go out and get one today?
Besides you can have more than one blog. Like me, currently I have 3 with more to come.
The bottom line to this is that the more readers you have, the more traffic you have, the more customers you can generate. Blogging is really for everyone. It is fun, simple and easy.
I hope you enjoyed this post?
If you have any feedback- testimony, comments, reviews, questions, send it below or just email me at email@example.com